Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I heart NY

I just got back from a fabulous Mother-Daughter trip to New York. I had been there once before with Michael and we had a great time together but... the shopping opportunities are just wasted on him. I remember thinking how much fun it would be to go again someday with my Ma. She was born there, but moved away when she was five and hadn't been back since. We had talked about going for awhile and finally decided to book the trip as Christmas present to each other (we booked it back in September, before I was pregnant - good thing because I wonder if we would have done it otherwise??).

We arrived on Thursday evening, stayed until Monday evening and were able to fit in ALL of the main things you want to do in the city. We took a carriage ride through Central Park; took pictures from the top of the Empire State Building; walked miles upon miles through Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Little Italy, Soho and the Fashion District. We saw two Broadway shows; viewed the Statue of Liberty and Ground Zero; rode the subway and ate deliciously fatty foods. It was everything we wanted to do and we had so much fun doing it.

The thing about being 17 weeks pregnant while touring NY: you get to see a lot of public restrooms. And I mean A LOT. I could show you pictures of the touristy things we did, but most of you have either seen these places for yourself or seen pictures of them already... so where's the originality?

Instead, allow me to present to you...

Tour De New York - Prego Style
(public restrooms - how they rate and where to find them)
Rating key:
YUCK = dirty, stinky, no paper towels etc...
ACCEPTABLE = nothing special, may or may not smell great but has all needed amenities
NICE = clean, smells okay
WOW = everything you'd want in a public restroom and MORE!

Times Square Information Center - ACCEPTABLE


Mott Pho Bang Restaurant, Little Italy - ACCEPTABLE


Bloomingdale's, Soho - NICE++



Europa Cafe, Central Park - ACCEPTABLE


Heartland Brewery, Empire State Building - NICE


Azalea Italian Restaurant, Theater District - NICE


Toys R Us, Times Square - NICE



New World Stages, Theater District - NICE


The Brooklyn Diner, Times Square - NICE


Essex World Cafe, Ground Zero - ACCEPTABLE


Century 21, Ground Zero - YUCK



Hotel Chandler Lobby, Midtown - WOW

Not pictured: Planet Hollywood - NICE, Rockefeller Center - NICE, Gershwin Theater - NICE

All in all, most public restrooms I visited were A-O-K. But if you REALLY wanna enjoy everything NYC has to offer, maybe don't go prego style. That said, it was still one of my most favorite trips I've ever been on. Probably because I love my Ma so much :)

5 comments:

Claudia said...

I heart NY and I heart Hailey! It was such a great trip. Hailey did not mention that we got free updates to first class on the way home. Very WOW!

McDolan said...

Claudia I sure hope you were able to drink for her too :)
Toy's r us... shopping for the babes? don't they have the "same" stuff as seattle?

Hailey said...

Toys R Us going to the bathroom, Merry :) And I haven't seen one here with a giant ferris wheel in the middle of the store... so not quite the same!

Alyssa said...

Well, I heart NY baby onesies and socks! Too cute. WOW bathrooms are the best...I wish there were more. I've been known to spend upwards of 20 minutes in a WOW....just to pee and primp.

Unknown said...

Hailey, you're funny! This is invaluable information to all pregnant women touring New York! We need to get this out there and FAST!

I've never seen a Toys R US ANYWHERE with a big ferris wheel in the center.WOWSERS!

So glad that most of the bathrooms were up to par. That just doesn't happen very often when you're traveling.